English   español  
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10261/87672
Share/Impact:
Statistics
logo share SHARE logo core CORE   Add this article to your Mendeley library MendeleyBASE

Visualizar otros formatos: MARC | Dublin Core | RDF | ORE | MODS | METS | DIDL
Exportar a otros formatos:

Title

Influence of anatomical hooking depth, capture depth, and venting on mortality of painted comber (Serranus scriba) released by recreational anglers

AuthorsAlós, Josep
Issue Date2008
PublisherOxford University Press
CitationICES Journal of Marine Science 65(9): 1620-1625 (2008)
AbstractImmediate (4-5 h) and delayed (10 d) hooking mortality for released fish kept in tanks was evaluated for painted comber (Serranus scriba) taken by the recreational fishery of the Balearic Islands (western Mediterranean). Results showed low rates of immediate (10.8%) and delayed (3.3%) hooking mortality, a total mortality of 14.1%. Anatomical hook location and capture depth were the most significant predictors of mortality; 70.4% of fish caught with a deep location of hook died as a consequence of the damage caused, bleeding, and long unhooking times. Fish caught in depths >16 m showed evidence of external barotrauma caused by rapid decompression, which increased the probability of death. The most common forms of barotrauma were swimbladder enlargement and stomach inversion. For fish vented with the aid of a hypodermic needle to extract excess gas, mortality was reduced by half. Factors such as surface temperature, fish size, and hook type (>J> hook vs. circle hook) could not explain the mortality of fish released into tanks. Therefore, the results confirm that a practice of catch-and-release (voluntary or mandatory) for S. scriba needs to be promoted among recreational anglers. © 2008 International Council for the Exploration of the Sea. Published by Oxford Journals. All rights reserved.
URIhttp://hdl.handle.net/10261/87672
DOI10.1093/icesjms/fsn151
Identifiersdoi: 10.1093/icesjms/fsn151
issn: 1054-3139
Appears in Collections:(IMEDEA) Artículos
Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
accesoRestringido.pdf15,38 kBAdobe PDFThumbnail
View/Open
Show full item record
Review this work
 

Related articles:


WARNING: Items in Digital.CSIC are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.