English   español  
Por favor, use este identificador para citar o enlazar a este item: http://hdl.handle.net/10261/129516
Compartir / Impacto:
Estadísticas
Add this article to your Mendeley library MendeleyBASE
Visualizar otros formatos: MARC | Dublin Core | RDF | ORE | MODS | METS | DIDL
Título

Calcium distribution in the subtropical Atlantic Ocean: Implications for calcium excess and saturation horizons

AutorRosón, Gabriel; Fernández-Guallart, E. ; Pérez, Fiz F. ; Ríos, Aida F.
Palabras claveCalcium
Alkalinity
Aragonite
Calcite
Seawater
North Atlantic
Fecha de publicaciónjun-2016
EditorElsevier
CitaciónJournal of Marine Systems 158: 45-51 (2016)
ResumenThis study constituted the first attempt to measure dissolved calcium ([Ca2 +]meas) in the subtropical North Atlantic, during a zonal transoceanic cruise along 24.5°N (WOCE A05 section), in summer 1992. [Ca2 +]meas was obtained in 20 full-depth equidistant stations along the section, showing that their gradients are rather sensitive to horizontal and vertical water mass distribution. Deep waters along 24.5°N systematically show a positive calcium excess of 20 ± 14 μmol·kg− 1, i.e., more [Ca2 +] than expected by CaCO3 dissolution and organic matter oxidation (estimated by total alkalinity and nitrate). CaCO3 settling and benthic dissolution accounts for 70% and the North Atlantic plus Arctic riverine inputs of HCO3− for the remaining 30%. Combining [Ca2 +]meas and CO2 data sets, carbonate mineral saturation states distributions for aragonite and calcite can be obtained. The two solubility ratios resulted, on average, 0.5% smaller than if conservative behavior for Ca2 + was assumed (an approach widely followed when [Ca2 +]meas is unknown). As a result, shallower saturation horizon depths for both carbonate states (19 dbar for aragonite and 10 dbar for calcite) are yielded if [Ca2 +]meas is taken into account instead than estimated from salinity
Descripción7 páginas, 1 tabla, 4 figuras
Versión del editorhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2016.01.011
URIhttp://hdl.handle.net/10261/129516
DOI10.1016/j.jmarsys.2016.01.011
ISSN0924-7963
E-ISSN1879-1573
Aparece en las colecciones: (IIM) Artículos
(ICM) Artículos
Ficheros en este ítem:
Fichero Descripción Tamaño Formato  
Calcium_distribution_subtropical.pdf Embargado hasta 1 de junio de 20181,68 MBAdobe PDFVista previa
Visualizar/Abrir     Petición de una copia
Mostrar el registro completo
 


NOTA: Los ítems de Digital.CSIC están protegidos por copyright, con todos los derechos reservados, a menos que se indique lo contrario.