English   español  
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10261/127427
Share/Impact:
Statistics
logo share SHARE   Add this article to your Mendeley library MendeleyBASE
Visualizar otros formatos: MARC | Dublin Core | RDF | ORE | MODS | METS | DIDL
Exportar a otros formatos:
Title

Brachyuran megalopae from Iberian Peninsula (SW Europe). Results of the MEGALOPADN project

AuthorsMarco-Herrero, Elena ; Abelló, Pere ; Drake, Pilar ; García Raso, J. Enrique; González-Gordillo, J. Ignacio; Guerao, Guillermo; Palero, Ferran ; Rodríguez, Antonio ; Cuesta, José A.
Issue DateAug-2014
Citation8th International Crustacean Congress (2014)
AbstractThe main objective of the MEGALOPADN project was to optimize the application of molecular techniques, specifically the analysis of mitochondrial DNA sequences (16S and Cox1), in conjunction with morphological techniques for a correct identification of brachyuran megalopae collected from the plankton around the Iberian Peninsula. The list of Iberian crabs was updated to 136 valid species (from 113 previously). A database was built including the corresponding 16S and/or Cox1DNA barcode sequences for 123 of those species. Thanks to this database, the 90% of the Iberian crabs (adults or larval stages) can now be identified with confidence to species level. The remaining 10% are mainly rare and infrequent species. Furthermore, the megalopae of 57 different species were identified using this database after analyzing morphological and molecularly more than 2000 megalopae collected in the plankton. The megalopal phase was unknown for 11 of these 57 species, and they are being described in detail. Megalopae of the remaining 46 species, of which previous descriptions were available, have been used to revise characters, setation patterns, missing data, correct minor mistakes and analyze the variability found among megalopae from the plankton and those obtained in the laboratory. Megalopae had to be re-described in 3 species because previous descriptions were incomplete or contained too many errors. These new descriptions and redescriptions, along with the existing ones, have enabled the development of an illustrated key for the identification of the megalopae of 78 Iberian crab species. The availability of this database of DNA barcodes has also allowed us to study the phylogenetic relationships of these species and their taxonomic validity. As a result there have been a number of proposed changes in the systematics of some species, comprising synonymization, establishment of new genera and a new subfamily, and changes in the systematic position of the genus Ergasticus (MARCO-HERRERO et al., 2013)
Description8th International Crustacean Congress (ICC-8), 18-23 August 2014, Frankfurt am Main.
URIhttp://hdl.handle.net/10261/127427
Appears in Collections:(ICM) Comunicaciones congresos
(ICMAN) Comunicaciones congresos
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Show full item record
 


WARNING: Items in Digital.CSIC are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.