English   español  
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10261/71037
Share/Impact:
Statistics
logo share SHARE logo core CORE   Add this article to your Mendeley library MendeleyBASE

Visualizar otros formatos: MARC | Dublin Core | RDF | ORE | MODS | METS | DIDL
Exportar a otros formatos:

Title

Electrophysiological properties and cholinergic responses of rat ventral oral pontine reticular neurons in vitro

AuthorsNúñez Molina, Ángel; Roza, Carmen de la; Rodrigo-Angulo, Margarita L.; Buño, Washinton; Reinoso-Suárez, Fernando
Issue Date1997
PublisherElsevier
CitationBrain Research 754: 1-11 (1997)
AbstractIn order to characterize the electrophysiological properties of morphologically identified neurons of the ventral part of the oral pontine reticular (vRPO) nucleus and the effects of cholinergic agonists on them, intracellular recordings were obtained from 45 cells in a rat brain-slice preparation. Intracellular staining was performed with 2% biocytin in potassium acetate (1 M)-filled micropipettes. Results demonstrated the presence of two types of vRPO neurons. Type I cells (n = 12, 24%) were characterized by a break with a decrease of the depolarizing slope following hyperpolarizing pulses which delayed the return to the resting V(m) and subsequent spike-firing. The delay was antagonized by 4-AP (200-500 μM) which specifically blocks the transient outward K+-mediated current I(A). Type II neurons (n = 38, 76%) displayed a typical depolarizing sag during hyperpolarizing current pulses which was blocked by Cs+. This behavior is characteristic of the hyperpolarization-activated current I(Q). These two neuronal types displayed different morphological features. Most type I and II cells (100 and 73.7%, respectively) were depolarized by acetylcholine (1-15 μM), carbachol (0.5-1 μM) and muscarine (1-10 μM) through the activation of post-synaptic muscarinic receptors. The remaining type II cells (26.3%) were hyperpolarized (1-10 min, 3-15 mV) through the activation of post-synaptic muscarinic receptors. Results are consistent with the hypothesis that the vRPO could be a neuronal target of Cch in eliciting paradoxical sleep because most of its neurons are activated by muscarinic agonists.
URIhttp://hdl.handle.net/10261/71037
DOI10.1016/S0006-8993(97)00035-8
Identifiersdoi: 10.1016/S0006-8993(97)00035-8
issn: 0006-8993
Appears in Collections:(IC) Artículos
Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
accesoRestringido.pdf15,38 kBAdobe PDFThumbnail
View/Open
Show full item record
Review this work
 


WARNING: Items in Digital.CSIC are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.